Autumn’s stirring

Some variable wind today that spent the morning havering between a southerly and a south easterly, before settling down this afternoon to a briskish south easterly. Went around the patch 3 times in the course of the day – a couple of Willows and a Garden Warbler in the morning (the Garden being an especially elusive and frustrating bird to identify with certainty, as it gave me the runaround for an hour in the plantation, never showing settled, but instead flushing from the depths of bushes and flying the length of the plantation before diving into cover. I was 95% sure it was going to be Garden, but the remaining 5% demanded certainty and a perched view).

Garden Warbler settled, I went down the isle to get some Herring from JLI, and check out the meadows. Looking good, with 4 White Wagtail and a half dozen Dunlin vaguely notable. No stints though.

JLI came along in the afternoon and we gave the patch a 2nd go. Definitely some new birds in during the intervening hours. 3 Black-tailed Godwit below my house, a Whinchat, 3 Garden Warblers, and 7 Willow Warblers.

Final walk in the evening uneventful, as patch smothered with fog.

Tomorrow’s forecast looks promising…